Saturday, July 2, 2022

Week 12 - Sentence Combining

Here is today's To Do List:

  • Check to see that you made corrections to your blog
  • Check everyone's photo editing
  • Go over some student writing errors together
  • Subject-Verb agreement exercise
  • Jellyfish sentence combining

Student Writing Errors in Reviews Handout PDF

Subject-Verb Agreement Exercise PDF

Sentence Combining
Writing principle - two short sentences should be combined into a longer one when possible.

Examples:
I like music. I don't like dancing. => I like music, but I don't like dancing.
I don't have any money. I can't buy a car. => I don't have any money, so I can't buy a car.
Rome is the largest city in Italy. It is the capital of Italy.
  => Rome, the largest city in Italy, is the capital.
  => Rome is the capital of Italy and its largest city.
  => The capital and largest city in Italy is Rome.

Your turn:
Sharon brought a pie to the party. It was an apple pie. =>
The baseball team celebrated. They won the championship. =>
We are going to the park. We are going to have a picnic. We are going to play soccer.  =>


Connect the short sentences below to make one long sentence. 






We still have three more classes:  

  • July 12
  • July 19 restaurant review presentation; as always, don't read
  • July 26 last class; be ready to tell us your (probable) blog theme for Fall 2022.


No comments:

Post a Comment